Monday 11 January 2021

Valiant Varjak in Year 4!

In Year 4, we have started a new Literacy Unit; a book called Varjak Paw by SF Said. 

The past week has been a whirlwind of emotions as we have read 5 chapters so far; heartbreak, elation, wonder and excitement as Varjak has just entered the 'Outside' on a mission to look for a dog and save his family. Adults, can read along as well, here. (Or, even better, we would highly encourage you to grab a hardcopy to read at home with your child, if possible!)


Children have been attending Google Meets every day to listen to the chapter. Everyone has been gripped by SF Said's words; Year 4 are hooked! We've been adding to a Padlet to discuss our ideas, predictions and analysis of the brilliant sentences. 

(Apologies for screen capturing at a time when children were deep in thought; I will make sure I ask the children to smile next time! - Miss Young)

"That was SO much fun! I can't wait to read Chapter 6!" - Iyinope, Ash

"I'm so scared...I don't know what's going to happen next...I'm sitting on the edge of my seat!" - Carla, Larch

"I can't wait to write my diary entry." - Mia, Birch

Today, children are writing a diary entry on how Varjak feels whilst on top of the wall, after having just witnessed his dearest grandfather, Elder Paw, sacrifice himself so that Varjak can go Outside and save his family. 

So far the Year 4 teachers are so impressed already at the brilliant entries they have written. Tomorrow, some will be posted to the author, SF Said, himself on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment